Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Glass Blowing 2...

May 4-5, 2013
I decided to progress my glass blowing knowledge with another weekend class.  It's been almost a whole year since my last class so I quickly found out how much I DIDN'T remember about glass blowing.  There were only 2 students in the class so, in theory, we should have a lot of blowing time.  However, it wasn't quite what I thought it would be. 

The other student in the class was actually a GB assistant from a shop in the British Virgin Islands so was fairly experienced.  He was in Vancouver for 1 week only and wanted to see how things are done here with new glass (they use only recycled glass there).  Unfortunately, the skills he had learned there were from a self-taught blower so the instructor spent much of her time trying to UN-teach his bad habits.  I did learn a few new things, and I did get some time with glass, but only managed to make a few (wonky) pieces.  I still want to spend more time working glass but I think I'll try to find a weekly class instead of a crammed, intensive weekend one.

Here are my wonky creations... In case you can't tell, they are: 1 paper-weight (John's special request), 1 small bowl, 1 plate, 1 starfish and 1 mutant mini starfish-ish....

No comments:

Post a Comment