Saturday, April 24, 2010

Volunteering

Many of you know that I'm a volunteer for the group 'Team Vancouver Volunteers'. This is a group of people that wanted to do regular volunteering for different organizations and decided to make it an official group last year. Each month, they set up a volunteering day for a different organization and invite people to join them. The group size has grown from a half-dozen people to several dozen in a few short months. I joined their group in their 2nd month of existance (Sept 09) and, so far, have done:
-Oct > sorting cans for the 'Vancouver Food Bank'
-Nov > sorting & packaging household items for 'Gather & Give'
-Dec > gift wrapping for 'MS Society' & a family sponsorship
-Jan > processing of expired foods for 'Quest Food Exchange'
-Mar > sold daffodils for 'Canadian Cancer Society'

I missed the Feb event which was food preparation at the Salvation Army as it was the day after the Olympics Opening Ceremonies & I was BURNED OUT!

Today, we worked at the 'Union Gospel Mission' in the kitchens preparing food for the homeless. It was a very organized kitchen and I was quite impressed with how they were able to make so much food for so many people in such a short period of time.

TVV is becoming more popular and they are now starting to organize 2 volunteering events a month. I really enjoy helping out and the organizers are so much fun that the whole event even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment